View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #14
Saba Slayer

Paddling a Hobie...

Hi Jon
The New Trident line from OK blows away the Scupper Pro and the Prowler, which are both great fishy old paddling boats...I've owned all three when I was with the OK team.
As far as the Hobie's go...I like paddling my Adventure Island without the akas and amas (outriggers). It seems to track well and is pretty stable. I usually only paddle it up in the Sierras on the lakes and creeks.

It's 16' long and tracks well especially with the big sailing rudder...and it's a blast when the sail and outriggers are on it...and you won't get sore knees sailing...
As far as the Revo 13...the Hobie's hulls are designed to maximize the effect of the mirage drive and the steering with your hands makes it difficult to steer while paddling...so it tends to wander a bit.
The foot steering on the longer Trident makes it so easy to paddle and steer. If my hand arthritis was not as bad as it is, I might still be in an Ocean Kayak or and old Wilderness hull...damn fast boats and they punch thru surf pretty well!
I know I'm a Hobie team guy but if you're looking for a strictly paddling boat I'd stick with the OK line.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 07-20-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote