Thread: offshore kayak
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #13
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyz123 View Post
Something I also think will be an issue is knee and hip joint issues later in life with the pedal systems. I have no proof, but I sure will be interested to see how many Hobie owners end up with Hip and Knee issues down the road.
I'll respectfully disagree with you on this one. I have been on a Hobie for about 8 years now. I also have a Kinesiology degree, and about 60 post-graduate units related to Sports Medicine.

The motion that you make while pedaling the Hobies is very low impact, inline, and very low stress on the joints. It is very similar to the motion used while riding a recumbent or stationary bike, which are both commonly used to rehab after a knee/hip injury. I'll suggest the opposite of you- that those that do not use their hips and knees regularly in low impact activities, will be more likely to develop problems later in life than those that are using them regularly.

You ever see those really old old old old people that keep exercising? I'm talking about the 80 year old ladies that can lap you on the track without breaking a sweat? They are like that because they keep active, and keep using their body. Ever see what happens to one of those physically fit old people after they take a fall and are no longer able to exercise? It usually isn't pretty, and the body deteriorates pretty quickly after that. Whether you paddle or peddle, I'd say you are better off than the typical cattle boat passenger, simply because you are out there on your own power.

I wouldn't write off the Hobie's just yet. Of course- if you have chronic or sharp pain while using them, I'd consider switching to something else. If your legs are just sore after a day on the water, sack up before your man card is revoked. However, there are plenty of guys like myself, that ended up in a Hobie due to shoulder injuries that prevented them from paddling. There is also the other group guys that switched from the paddle to the Hobie claiming a "shoulder injury" but they really just wanted the ability to have hands free fishing, to stay out longer than those that paddle, to not be blown off the water when the wind kicks up like the paddle guys are, to go further and faster than the paddle guys, and also to catch more fish than the paddle guys

Ya, I like my Hobie kayaks
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote