View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 12:37 PM   #9
YOYOYaker
Junior

Cool. I was wondering if any of you guys are using LiPo packs for anything on your yaks. I have enjoyed building and flying R/C airplanes, helicopters for many years now, and these batteries have really helped the performance of electric models. I just last night built up a 2S2P 5300 mAH 7.4 volt pack for my bait tank. The pump draws 800 milliamps at 7.4V, which should give 5 hours of continuous running. The pack weighs about 10 ounces. A word of caution though, Lithium packs must be charged with constant current to 4.2 volts per cell, then constant voltage the remainder of the charge cycle. All cells must be balanced individually (exactly the same voltage on each of the cells). Luckily, there are chargers available that take care of this for us. As long as the cells are not discharged below 3 volts per cell, and they are used within their discharge rate capabilities, they last and last. Alarms, or a form of auto shut-down at 3 volts per cell-as mentioned in above posts should always be used.
YOYOYaker is offline   Reply With Quote