View Single Post
Old 07-28-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
iethinker

First cast with a new swimbait....

This is a Kayak Fishing Report from Solana Beach on 7/28/2016:

At first light, I launched through warm surf and found smooth conditions just past the breakers. Next, I started my usual routine of throwing the Kastmaster in search of Greenback Mackerel (GBM). This turned out to be the toughest bait making session so far this year.

After an unreasonably long time and through an around about way I found myself in 60-feet of water with only three GBMs to show for my efforts. I did however catch a decent amount of smaller Calico Bass as bait-hunt bycatch. Well, this was the excuse I needed to pin a 6-inch plastic swimbait on a jig-head I just bought on Sunday.

I tossed the virgin lure out towards some protruding kelp and let it sink to the bottom. On my first crank, the line immediately loaded up. Sweet bendo and three quick runs against fairly tight drag (kelp setting) made me suspect a small YT. What eventually appeared before me was instead a 24-inch Calico Bass.

Solana Calico Bass From The Bottom In The Summertime. Thanks HobieOneCanoebe for the OTW Picture and nice meeting you.

The aforementioned swimbait:

After the Calico experience, I set out to troll around with the few GBMs that I had. I drug my first one out to just over 200-feet deep with no hits in route. I took a second GBM and put him on the bottom in a previously productive area. My deep bottom fishing was however interrupted by fast approaching splashing school of of something with companion flocking birds. I quickly cranked the deep line up and took off with the for nothing. Seemed to be just Dolphins. Oh well.

Conditions at the 200 contour were perhaps a bit smoother than inshore.

I pinned on my last GBM and slowly came back inshore for you guessed it...no takers. The new swimbait, unique Calico, incredible conditions and getting to meet some fellow yakers all made for an enjoyable trip. The landing was a success as well.

Enjoy,
Matt

iethinker is offline   Reply With Quote