View Single Post
Old 04-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #4
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

This is a problem surfers, and now kayakers, have had to deal with for years.
When I go kayaking, I take only my fishing and drivers license, along with a credit card, in a drybag that goes below deck on the kayak. The truck ignition key goes around my neck on a string. My kayak cart is locked in the camper shell of my truck with a cable lock.
Having surfed and kayaked for years in SoCal, I've learned to not to leave anything in the truck or camper while I'm out. My truck has no stickers and I use a club, even in my driveway. If I'm in a really sketchy spot, I have a burglar alarm, but those don't do much.
Bummer you got ripped off, takes a little more fun out of that ocean lifestyle we all enjoy. It could have been worse; the thief could have busted out your window or done other damage to your truck. Toyota pickups are unbelievably easy to break into(I know because I have one).
Or even worse; my surfing buddy used to pin his truck key to a towel and leave it on the beach while we were surfing(at 6AM on a weekday). When we got out he picked up his towel and went up to our trucks, his 4Runner was gone.