View Single Post
Old 02-14-2016, 01:04 PM   #5
2-Stix

my partner had his ear to the sets, and with the long periods we had a good chance. he called out, lets go and we both just humped it in full blast. we continue to hear that was pushing it from a few other guys, but this is the safest sport that each of us do. doesn't mean we can't get caught in a really bad situation...the ocean doesn't have a mercy button.

i almost went down a few months back at anacapa island. big winds, big swells, 35' boat, 4 of us, lost a motor when we rolled a big swell to 40 degrees and the prop came out and reved to 8k and blew off the radiator cap, we needed shelter and a dropped anchor to see what was up, could only steer the direction we didn't want to go, the wind and waves pushed us right where we needed to go, 3 maydays from other boats that day, only us, the coast guard and a broke down boat waiting for vessel assist at santa cruz islands yellow banks. we almost capsized, it was bad. thank god everything bad went as well as possible and we came out alive. had the go bag out, deployed the yaks, wetsuits on and life vests, beacons. it sucked bad. worst extended amount of fear i have ever had. the weather report was off. we got our asses handed to us. up all night on anchor watch, didn't sleep a bit. terrible type II fun.

Last edited by 2-Stix; 02-14-2016 at 01:31 PM.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote