View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #32
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
I'm guessing the only thing you are missing is experience in Baja. South of Ensenada your worries with cartels drop dramatically. Bad things with locals can happen, but aren't very likely. I would guess his biggest concerns would be dealing with weather conditions and and getting help if need be.
Tattuna, you are correct when you say that I do not have much experience in Baja. Years ago on Cinco de Mayo, I was thrown into the Encinada jail for being Anglo and looking like I could come up with the bail money. I was simply standing in line to get into Husongs and had not even tasted my first beer. That was enough for me.

The experience was brutal and has forever colored my opinion about the value and wisdom of visiting Northern Mexico. I am sure that just as those of us who have gained experience fishing from yaks in the ocean seldom have problems, people who regularly travel in Baja have learned how to stay out of trouble. On the other hand, if I could ask my two friends who died on trips to this region, (one in a car accident, the other murdered), if they would recommend the trip, the answers would probably be to use extreme caution.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote