View Single Post
Old 03-30-2014, 01:19 PM   #19
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
I may be in the market for a Hobie this summer and I think these are the popular choices for fishing.

Pro Angler 14
Pro Angler 12
Hobie Outback
Hobie Revolution 13

I would guess that many like the stability and ability to stand up as well as the space of the PA's.

Outback is good too and lighter than the PA's but can't stand up.

Revolution is a faster boat but not as much deck space.

What Hobie do you own and are you happy with your kayak or do you wish you bought another kayak?

I guess the best thing would be is to own two kayaks for different applications.
As my screen name implies I Fly Fish from my Kayak.
That being said stability is "my" priority. I thought about a PA HOWEVER I'm recovering from a severe blow-out of my L-5 S-1 gap (pinched sciatic nerve). I now have trouble lifting too much weight.
I chose the outback because after showing it to my Orthopedic surgeon he thought it would be a good Low-impact exercise piece of equipment and it would help me be active outside.
I did my fair share of "Lurking" (almost a year) on the pros and cons of the different "Hobies" from the members hers an they have great insight.
The Revos, by most accounts, were a little "tippy", but are the fastest of the bunch but a little limited in room (depending on your size) and plan on getting wet (launching and moderate swells)!
I chose an Outback for extra stability especially when side saddle fish fighting (even though I can't stand up in one) and the more responsive steering (due to the placement and max deflection and surface area of the rudder-I don't know if you can equip a PA with a sailing rudder).
Short of a boat, it has as much storage as I need plus the option of having the PA rectangle center storage installed.
With all the extras and modifications it came down to $$$. I spent almost $3K on my outback! My only regret is that this year just after I buy mine, they come out with a transducer scupper (I have a wet mount and it's iffy at times, especially deep) ! I might buy the new one and keep the other for a spare!
The PA's (especially the 14) are an Excellent platform especially with the new seats , almost as stable as a Johnboat, but heavier than heck when accessorized (from 100-120#'s+).
I also don't care for the easy way to transport (i.e. In the back of a truck with half the boat hanging out on an extender). With the way people drive all you need is a knucklehead tailgating while talking or texting to ruin a $3,500 PA! (I put my outback on a roof mount Thule Slipstream 887XT...rolls on and right off.
If I had a 4X4 truck with a ladder/material rack I might have considered a PA but again the weight is a big consideration "for me".
I've heard they can be wet when launching but with the bow configuration I suppose those that complain are the "hard core" kayakers that go out in just about all weather!
I hope this helps. Just my .02
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote