View Single Post
Old 08-17-2010, 09:55 AM   #1
fishinkid2010

Not quite kayaking...yet

Well, as the title says, yall aint in for a kayak report. haha

But as soon as I can figure out how to get my Hobie to Freeport, Texas it will be!

Here is the upgrade from my kayak... haha... plenty of room to strap a kayak on the bow!
But I must admit, 1800 hp, autopilot, gps, radar, sonar, and a real SEAT! are pretty nice upgrades. hahaha

Definitely don't see these in La Jolla! After we headed out about 30 NM, we fished some of these platforms. ( for red snapper, grouper, amberjack, kings etc)

Most of they day was spent trolling though, with the gulf stream pushing up some nice warm water, things looked good for some surface action. We were in search of some Wahoo, Dolphin, and with some luck a Sail.

After trolling some Harry Lures (similar to a Rapala) we connected with a nice King Fish aka a King Mackerel. Not the best eating fish, but better than a greenback! haha

My uncle hooked up with another.

Another King

We ended up getting quite a few hits throughout the day, even with steel leaders they managed to break us off plenty of times. These fish have TEETH!!! teeth you don't want to be anywhere near!

Found some nice weed lines about 30+ miles out in blue water.

I've found my new calling in life! captaining a 36' Bertram Sportfisher! ... I guess its just more motivation to do well in college! haha

Here was the big snapper. (from an earlier trip)

All in all it was a beautiful day, only had one guy get a Rapala treble hook stuck in his head way past the barb... thank goodness for bolt cutters! haha
Weather was nice... except for the fact we were 30 miles offshore and it was OVER 100 degrees! that and it is extremely humid... but that's the gulf for you.

Hopefully some time I'll be able to get a kayak here, and will be able to get back to fishing a few inches above the water!

Does anybody know any good Texas fishing forums? some for freshwater fishing also? i.e. LMB

fishinkid2010 is offline   Reply With Quote