View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 08:06 PM   #12
robmandel

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE DARKHORSE View Post
#3 Shimano Torium 20 :...this is the reel I used to love on my jig-sticks. Those days are over, though, and I'll tell you why. For one, I've broke the anti-reverse bearing on the Torium 20 over thirty times (a.k.a. The Knuckle Buster!). I've not only got the scars to prove it, but I'm pretty sure I fractured a finger in the process, too. It was swollen and hurt for five months, but I only go to the doctor when I can't stop the bleeding or can't breathe .

Not only that, but you need to be an engineer to service this reel yourself.

If you're buying a conventional reel to cast surface-iron, for the kayak...I'd suggest picking up one of two reels. The first is a Daiwa Sealine 40. It's free-spool is just as good as a Newell 338. I can cast this reel just as far as any deckhand with a Newell (so can you with practice). It's durable as hell and takes abuse and keeps on ticking. It's got the perfect height and width as mentioned above. It's $109 at Squid Co. and I bet Charkbait has it on the cheap, too. It's easy to service and I've never had bloody knuckles from fishing with locked-down drags on bruiser Yellowtail with it.

I use the Daiwa Saltist 40 on all my jig-sticks today.
some reels are made for fishermen, others are made for fishing. :bigg rinjester:

(disclaimer: I own 10 sealines, all upgraded with greased carbon fiber drags.)
robmandel is offline   Reply With Quote