Thread: Sat LJ report
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
taggermike

Sat LJ report

In response to Mr. Nice guy pointing out there's been less reports, here's a report. Got on the water at 7, small waves, n clear warm water. Lots of bait a couple hundred yards passed the reserve. Big schools feeding on top and visible under the yak. Didnt want to bite tho. Moved from school to school until I found a few that wanted to bite. Made one green n 6 spanies and headed out.

North of the kelp line I was looking at the right place at the right time and saw a mako jump and do a back flip. Thing got some hang time. Looked kinda dead, no birds or even dogs around. Put in a bait any way, the one green, and the bonies killed him in about 60 seconds. Bait came back with a hundred little pin holes in him. Put out a Spanish and kept heading south. Made it to the NW corner. Current picked up out of the north and more birds started showing up.

I noticed boats n skiffs were hooking up with a slow steady pick. Mostly bones but some yt too. Nothing wanted the Spanish and unless they kept it on the stealth side I don't see yakkers getting bit. I think the fish wanted the 4-6" sardines from the receivers way more than the macks.

Threw a small mega bait, thinking with bonito around theyed eat it. I did hook up with either a yt or huge bonie cause it made a good run that i couldnt stop in to the kelp and broke off 30 lb. Got tired of watching skiffs getting bit and headed back north. Current was fast. Felt like 2 steps forward n 1 step back. Got a solid pick up, hooked up, and it came unbuttoned. Reeled in to find the dreaded tell tail curly pig tail. Shit, bad knot.

Felt like a knuckle head n started back up current out side the kelp. Got sick of that and cut across the kelp strait back to the launch. Landed at 1:00. Wiffed on 2 good pitches. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote