View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 02:05 PM   #5
BigAppa
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrilla View Post
I've worked on plenty Avets. Grease em. Rust and corrosion aint fun.
Yeah, I'm really tempted to. It's just been automatic with me with my other reels. And it just seems to make more sense: greased washers will be smoother. And I'm willing to give up a little drag pressure for smoothness (although I have no science to back this up. Maybe these newer materials provide enough smoothness dry). Another thing to consider - I read on another site that greasing the washers will void the warranty of the entire reel. Not too sure about this. I'll have to verify with Avet. Damn, never new this topic would be so complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2-Stix View Post
I tend to follow manufactures specs...and with experience gravitate away where I feels its best. I race offroad and never premixed a 2 stroke bike per manuf. but I follow all the torque specs for motor rebuilds. Its a bit case by case. I have 2 Avets. The website calls for dry drags. I will keep it that way unless I see issues and I will try to get a better result if need be...via grease or what not.
Thanks for the response. How would you compare the smoothness of the dry washers of the Avets to the greased washers of other reels? I know it's not a perfect comparison, but just curious.
BigAppa is offline   Reply With Quote