View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 03:55 PM   #7
2-Stix

Thanks for the response. How would you compare the smoothness of the dry washers of the Avets to the greased washers of other reels? I know it's not a perfect comparison, but just curious.[/QUOTE]

Your buying a dry drag machine. Its a different animal. Gas vrs diesel motor if you will. They work different. The quote is from the Avet site. I dont feel I know how to manage their designs and reals better than their engineers.

Should I grease or lube my drag?
No. Avet Reels feature a woven carbon fiber dry drag system. Because the carbon disc is woven, the tops of the weaves are what make surface contact with the mating stainless steel disc. This is the surface area and dry friction coefficient that all of the other components in the drag system are designed and calibrated around. This includes the cam ramp angles and Belleville pressure washers (drag pressure springs), that as a whole determine the drag curve for the line class range the reel is designed for. Greasing the drag fills in the voids between the weaves, multiplying the actual surface area contact between the carbon and steel discs, and throwing off the drag curve. This condition makes the drag lever extremely sensitive to adjustment, substantially increasing or decreasing drag pressure with only a fraction of the travel of the lever, especially when the reel is used in the lighter line class range a particular model is designed to accommodate.
2-Stix is offline   Reply With Quote