Thread: VHF Radio
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
EDC

Yes it's true that it's nice to have a radio and to listen to the NOAA channels and to be able to get in touch with other boats, and a one touch distress signal is pretty cool. I don't want to start an argument and believe that radios are important. I would get a Standard Horizon if I got a gift certificate or a bonus and didn't have to spend the money I would otherwise be spending on other fishing gear. But my phone does float, I get inclement weather alerts through running apps, I can listen to the NOAA channels through a phone call, I don't really want to talk to the boats (but talking to other kayakers would be nice), and if the conditions look nasty I just won't be going out. I just don't trust the West Marine brand and that may just be me. I don't have experience with this radio, but I have had other West Marine electronics that were absolute junk in the past and did not do close to what they were supposed to (faulty wiring, waterproof items not even being water resistant in reality, sloppy tolerance, cheap components,and other small compaints), so maybe I'm just biased. I like the store, and customer service is great, but I don't think their quality is there. If I were buying something important, I would want it to be from a company that specializes in that kind of product, not one who dabbles here and there in a bunch of different types of products. If this one turns out to be a good one and other people are having great results with it, then maybe I am just outdated and should maybe give them another shot (maybe I got the only lemons). But that won't be for a very long time and I would need a lot of convincing to buy that brand again.

With Mr. Sammons, he seemed pretty comfortable about these SoCal waters when I spoke with him. Remember that he has travelled the world in some pretty nasty stuff way way further from safety than the kelp beds or canyons and other normal SoCal spots. Maybe in his experience he has just been through so much crazy kayak fishing that nothing phases him anymore. On his shows though you will see him always wearing a PFD and his VHF even in a small freshwater pond.
EDC is offline   Reply With Quote