View Single Post
Old 05-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #24
Zed
BANNED

Quote:
2. Is this a common local fish, or are they part of the spectacular fishing conditions we've been enjoying for the past few years?
IMO its a sign of coming back to normal. They were scarce here in that 75+F water.

Very common. They like greener water w lots of bait and are often on top active on the slack tide. Ive caught over 100 and killed 2 --both off Laguna. One was planned and the other was suicide. It ran straight down into the mud like a dart and died in 300+ft. Winched it up and it was muddy to the pecs. I just see them as time bandits now and avoid or bust them off asap.

Im on the side of too much work. No one plans ahead to take a 200# fish on a yak w enough ice to chill it. Then it takes all damn day (and a ton of ice and a cooler/box to hold it) to get a dressed thresher cold to fillet. Its a disservice IMO if you dont treat it right. Enjoy it if you do. But dont drive it in the bed of the truck for an hour then fillet it and expect good results.

I do wish I had vid of all the cool feeders and freejumpers over the years though. One of the best I remember was a med size one up on plane w its motor going full speed like those SE Asian long-shaft outboards. It went so long w its head up making whitewater. Psycho.

$0.04