Thread: Malibu 4-14
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 01:50 PM   #1
Denis_Ruso

Malibu 4-14

Launched at First Light to some cold early morning weather with 2 buddies looking for bait to target some larger species. Paddles all over never marked a single school of bait. Bait was impossible to find.

We gave up on bait after about an hour and decided to explore some deep water since there was absolutely no sign of life. Paddled out deep and had a good bite on some deep water sandbass in 110-120 feet. Stopped fishing for them because they were coming up with barotrauma. I kept a skinny 16 incher as he wasn't going to live.

Moved out to some deeper structure and found the rockpile I was looking for. The rockpile took less than two hours to limit out 3 of us with quality grade Reds, Starry eye and chuckleheads. Best part was is all the bites were on a 60g coltsniper.

My buddies were having a little trouble getting the bite going so we cut up an octopus that I jigged up and tipped their jigs with an octo tentacle. That got them going.

Fished right along side the Spitfire at one point and tried to hail them on the radio for a boat burger... No such luck. I was ready to drop 20$ on boat burger at that point.

Heaviest rockfish was a chucklehead at 2 lbs 11 Oz on a calibrated digital rapala scale.
Attached Images

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote