View Single Post
Old 12-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #3
Saba Slayer

Nope...

Short answer...Nope...!

Long answer...I've lived on the Peninsula for about 20 years now and have only beach launched about a half a dozen times. My OK Trident 11 was probably the best trail kayak for this area and the surf launches.
Any access to the shore from Redondo Beach/King Harbor to Cabrillo is a long haul on a dirt road or trail to get to the water...the road from the parking lot near the beach swim club and Haggertys down to the beach is probably the shortest route....but the bad part is the uphill climb at the end of the day.

Amish Ed...From Cabrillo to Flat Rock by kayak is a very long multi mile trip and I don't know anyone that has done it...one of Jason's old, one way "Paddle and Fish" trips launched near Abalone Cove down a long trail with two guys on each boat to get em down, and it started with a very challenging surf launch and when they pulled out at RAT Beach they had a bunch of yard sales down on the beach...I think everyone took home a lot of sand from that landing...

Beach launching anywhere from King Harbor to RAT beach is a long haul across the sand and another hill to climb back up to the parking lots.
Both these areas are popular surfing spots for a good reason...needless to say I don't see a lot of surf launches by fishing kayaks on that street of beach.

To get to "Flat Rock" and "The Cove" you must travel down a long rutted dirt road...this popular surfing area can be a good launch on flat days and impossible on others. Suffice it to say it's not kayak friendly...and it's about a 1/2mi long road.
There are a few other "trails" on the peninsula but these are the closest to the Cove at Flat Rock.
Good Luck...bring a very light kayak with minimal equipment and a great set of wheels... or enjoy the 4 mile peddle to the peninsula from King Harbor.
Access to PV and the deeper parts of the Redondo Canyon is one of the reasons I own an 18' CC Skiff...

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 12-12-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote