View Single Post
Old 09-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #5
madscientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman
Gabe, it definately will count. You fulfilled the requirements and I applaud you. Something that I am considering for next year is an incentive for releasing smaller halibut and YT. Something like only the tape shot required and 15 points, no weighing necessary.
Sounds like a good idea for the halibut, but do you really want to give 15pts for a 3lb yellow rat. I might become a contender .

Honestly, I don't quite understand the rationale for not keeping little YT but keeping the big ones (other than Ken and Andy making fun of me). I have no idea what YT mortality is like, but my guess is only 1 in 4 at best, probably much worse, 4lb YT ever makes it to be 20+. Thus, killing a pair of 4#ers is less damaging to the big fish stock than killing one 20# fish. If the situation were that we caught tons of small guys and only the ocassional big one, I could see the logic, but this year so far my big YT(over 15#) to little (<15) ratio is 4:1, through no specific action on my part (never mind that the many fish lost were probably more on the big side of the equation). Is there something I am not seeing? Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone would release their YT so I can catch them 8) .
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote