View Single Post
Old 09-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

14 Days at Silver Lake...

My Dad passed away unexpectedly a few weeks ago and I had spent the last two weeks before going on this long planned trip, cleaning out his garage and house of 63 years...
To say I was ready for this vacation is an understatement...it just turned out to be the best trip in many years!

Dad's Garage...it's now bare walls and very clean...LOL...!

While cleaning out the garage I found this Diawa Combo and my first day on Reverse Creek I caught 6 Trout on it before it started making grinding noises...Thanks Pop...!

My wife was up there for 4 days before she flew home from Mammoth.

We had campsite #20 and it was right across the single lane road from this great beach.

We picked up a side job as a crossing guard when the little ones were around...LOL

I was there so long, that even the clouds started to look like fish...

One bonus to being in one place so long, was that I didn't get upset that the weather was windy or thunderstorms...we just went to Mono Lake sightseeing or up the creeks where it was always calm.

Denis (who was up there for 7 days) was the first to score a big fish at Silver, from shore with a night crawler.

He then had a big crawdad latch on to his nightcrawler...which was a good sign of things to come...

The weather calmed down and was beautiful for about 4 days with just a quick evening thundershower.

Another friend, Paul drove up for those 4 great weather days and we fished the creek again for some more trout. There were lots of small guys but also a few keepers....

The Hobie PA pickup truck did it's job and hauled the load...LOL...!

Then we toasted our next meal...and boy did we eat good...that Louisianna Boil is a fun meal and we even had an Udon Noodle dish with the tails and claws on another nite.

There are plenty of Crawdads around now that the water has warmed up to about 61 degrees and the lake level has gone down to normal.

Paul had a great time breaking in his new float tube and fly rod setup

...and catching and eating the crawdads...

This girl was a regular in the little clearing that she made behind our campsite...she would nap there every morning...it was quite peaceful to see her there.

I had heard a rumor that a lot of the big fish released at Gull had not been caught yet, so did a quick road trip to that beautiful little spring fed lake.

Paul scored the first big fish on a Berkley Power Worm slowly worked back to the float tube.

Denis scored next with a 3lbs 10oz. beauty on the Hookup Bait.

I had to get in the mix too so I threw the Hookup Bait for a 3.5 pounder.

The whole stringer of 4 fish from day one was almost 15 lbs., even with 3 fish that were released.

Paul steaked up the big trout for dinner...

We marinated the steaks in terriakyi and cooked em on the Q with some Mountain Mahogany smoker wood from Meadow Farms in Bishop...you would have sworn it was Salmon you were eating. It was the best damn Trout I've ever eaten.

The Great Artist in the Sky did his Alpine Glow Painting one evening

Paul headed back to work and the City...while Denis and I went back to Gull to do some more damage to the big boys...

When Denis headed south, I discovered that I could set-up the hammock and reach my pineapple rum drink and the rod...Oh Oh...!

I finally got out of the hammock and went back to Gull to get another beauty to bring home for the BBQ with the family.

I took the back/scenic road to a better launch area at Gull for this last trip.

Andy the Ice Man showed up with his lovely wife towards the end of my trip.

His campsite and launching beach were just a few sites away.

I tried the lead core line and the down rigger for only two small fish...hard to believe with all the nice big marks I saw down deep on the Lowrance finders.

There were plenty of crawdads to bring home for another feast with the little kiddos next-door. They can't decide if they want to play with them or eat them...LOL

It's always sad packing up and heading home...especially after such a long trip...

I CAN"T WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN...

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote