View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 10:39 AM   #1
dapHBCM
Junior

How Much Capacity Is Really Needed?

Hey All,

Hoping to get a little advice and input on how much capacity is really needed in a kayak given my circumstances. I am just getting into kayak fishing (currently trying to modify a 20+ y/o Cobra Tandem) and trying to decide what I will need.

I am mainly going to be fishing around Newport Harbor, Dana Point, and inshore outside of those areas; however, I also want to be able to go down to La Jolla or a little farther offshore with others (neighbor goes about 5 miles out frequently) to target larger species like YT, WSB, etc.

If I go to La Jolla or elsewhere I will be taking a decent amount of gear with me (drive time/rarity of trip) and I am concerned about the capacity of some of these kayaks. I posted something similar over on Blood Decks, but there is a lot more kayak discussion here.

I've tried searching the forums here and around online, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting information and/or information specialized to one particular person's style.

My guestimates on weights:
200lbs Me
40lbs DIY Livewell
25lbs Poles/Gaff/Tackle
10bs Cooler/Water/Lunch
18lbs "Rigged Gear Weight" - Hobie Outback As an Example
7lbs Straps/Pole Holders/VHF/Etc
=
300lbs and then there is still:

batteries
fishfinder/gps
paddle
hand pump/ bailing mechanism
a little water in the kayak
possible wheels from carting to the beach

If all of the above comes to 350lbs + then it seems like im about 1 good fish away from having problems with a 400lb capacity kayak, especially if some of these "70%" of capacity rules I've seen are correct.

What's the general consensus? Do I need the 500-600lb capacity of something like a Pro Angler, or is it fine to push the limit of something like an Outback?
dapHBCM is offline   Reply With Quote