View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 06:17 PM   #180
bellcon

My New Vittles Vault Bait Tank / Live Well

After 4 years with the Shimano Bristlol Bay Bag / live well, it was time for a change.

The Shimano bag was great but it was starting to show its age, the plastic liner had gotten a little soft
and would flex and sway if I had to heavy a rod load, the clear lid had dried out and after some modifications the lively Macks were still occasionally able to wiggle their way to freedom.

What I wanted:
A stiff container that would not flex.
A rod holder that would accommodate the larger butts of a jig stick
A simple and secure lid that was easy to open
A portable rig that could be used on any kayak
A tank with a smooth uncluttered interior
and the ability to change the battery and trouble shoot on the water.

I had thought about other containers, ice chest, buckets etc. and I was almost sold on the smaller Vittles Vaults box but decided to go big. I like what I have seen others do with these containers, and just added a few of my own ideas...

I thought long about a thru the hull pump, then a thru the scupper pump.
but decided on the old standard "over the side" pump for simplicity. Then I wanted to be able to remove the pump and hose for transport,
But decided against an exposed plug at the battery. I like the way the pump stores on top of the tank so I don't think transport will be a problem.
Wrapping the hose back into the tank on the Shimano Tank kinked the hose and I was always frustrated with that.

So here you go:

These are the secret fasteners, they are called Connective Cap Nuts, they are made to work with Shoulder Bolts, sometimes called Sex Nuts:

Side View:

Adding the tie down straps, melted a hole in the strap with a soldering iron, bolted thru the rod holder:

Finished strap with hose fitting and wire loom, a continuous length of shrink wrap over the wire harness from the pump into the battery box:

Detail of Pelican battery box install:

Top View, I may look into a round hatch mounted to the lid, so I don't need to "unscrew" the lid all day.

Front View, showing Pelican battery box, water proof switch, and 6V / 10Amp battery:

Back View, used regular rod holders at 4 corners and a 2 inch ABS pipe that I flared with heat gun, then made mounting brackets from a coupler that
I cut in half and slid into position:

Inside View, I got the smooth surface I wanted, I may had a hose to fill the tank from the bottom, I may also add a fitting so I can adjust water level and drain the tank at rear, but for now I wanted to start simple:

In the Trident:

Only took about an hour to build, One visit to Andy to OEX Sunset and one or 2 trips to the hardware store... (BS )

I like it
I wonder if it will fit in a Hobie some day?