View Single Post
Old 08-01-2022, 10:35 AM   #8
JohnMckroidJr

Nice documentation of your visit to Rancho Buena Vista. Sad to see the Marlin get harvested, but I imagine it was food for Valentino's family, and sympathize with the temptation. You noted that Valentino chose to clean it at sea and I imagine the lodge would have frowned on him for harvesting a traditionally released fish that bring the lodge its livelihood. I experienced a similar situation in Cabo where a fish was clubbed before I could express my desire to have it released.

In places like Costa Rica and Guatemala, it's against the law to remove a billfish from the water. Photos are taken of the fish in the water to increase the likelihood of survival. Satellite tag studies documented the increased mortality for billfish removed from the water. Since then there is also a law for Atlantic Federal waters making it illegal to remove a billfish from the water that is not intended for harvest. Sadly, This law is frequently abused off Florida.

Fish photos always look better when the fish are alive and full of color. With the lure hanging from their month, It tells the viewer even more about the catch. It's more challenging to hold up a lively Mahi, but If you can master that, your documentation will be that much more interesting.

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip with us.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote