View Single Post
Old 12-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

XI5 with Gateway on PA17t.... UPDATED 12/12/2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstahfish View Post
I too have been frustrated by the remote battery issue. Maybe check in with motorguide and see if they have improved it and will replace yours. The rest of it is great though. One thing you should try is the vector path setting. It's the one with the circle and arrow in it. Point the motor in a direction, hit it and it will hold you on that path regardless of wind and current. Trying to run a straight line without it is not going to happen without a lot of attention being paid without using this setting. Another cool feature is you can control it from your gps head unit so if the remote battery dies, it's not that big of a deal. Also, this is a trolling motor for a boat, it was never meant to move a boat past fishing speed or be lightweight, the Torqeedo was so it's not really fair to compare them. There is also a port for a pedal connection if you continue to be frustrated by the remote. Hope this helps.

So finally... i spent the money to buy the GPS pinpoint Gateway kit and it does make a BIG difference. ( REMOTE IS CRAP)

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Motorgu...jqeniramsegdoh

Cheapest place to find it... along with the nmea starter kit...

This gateway kit ... surely bring out the best out of the XI5 and it is the ONLY WAY to control the xi5 in my honest opinion....

I was able to point to a waypoint on my GPS.... the motor will lock in direction and go directly there.... if i wanted to move just a bit to left right south or north i could give it direction on my lowrance HDS Unit... and now i am faced just where the fish are

I used the torqeedo to go to my destination about 5.5 mph ...... then if i wanted to setup my lures.... or get my bait ready.... i would turn off the torqeedo and deploy the xi5.... and direct it to the waypoint.... the xi5 with the anchor mode and waypoint heading... sure moved it up my list...

The only downfall... is that adding 30lbs to the bow.... makes it dig in to the wind waves when going 3mph +.... not a memory i like to have. Currently trying to come up with a solution

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it

Last edited by wiredantz; 12-13-2017 at 06:41 AM.
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote