Thread: Tide Question
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Hobie-Pedaller
Fish On !!!

for BAY FISHING - the TIDE is extremely critical....

you almost always need a good "tidal swing" (tidal height change) to get the fish to bite.

at least a 2+ ft swing, 3-4 ft usually best, 5-6 ft swings can be good, but also can be "too strong".... and many times the fish hunker down, become inactive, and don't bite much, during these large "tidal flows" that result from the very large tidal height changes.

incoming tides tend to be best, but outgoing are often almost as good.

during times around the lull tides (both high & low tides), there is almost no tidal water "flow", and Bay fishing is frequently VERY slow during these periods.

but these are only "tendacies". not absolutes.

i have had rare days in the Bays, where the fish did bite well, w/ no tidal flow. and days when they were not biting at all, w/ good tidal flow.

although the best conditions to fish BAYS, are definitely during incoming or outgoing tides with 2 to 5 ft swings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

for open OCEAN FISHING (inshore or offshore) - the TIDE is not nearly as critical....

the info posted by MadSci above is certainly knowledeable input. and in the Ocean, current seems to be more critical to the bite conditions, than are the tides.

i personally feel the tide does not have much influence at all, for the "bite" of top-water type Ocean fish, such as YT, WSB, Calicos, Barrys, Bones, etc.

although i do see how tide could play somewhat of a factor to the "bite" of bottom fish in the Ocean, such as Halibut, Lings, and Rock fish, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

when i plan to go fish the Bays, the tide is the first thing i look at.

but when i plan to go fish LJ, i only concern myself with the tides to get an idea of what it will be like launching and landing, etc.

in LJ, i primarily look at the SURF FORECASTS.....

because i handle surf paddling - ALMOST as poorly as Norv Turner coaches NFL football players.

Kayak Fishing is a DRUG.... and I'm addicted !!

Last edited by Hobie-Pedaller; 11-19-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Hobie-Pedaller is offline   Reply With Quote