Thread: Newport harbor
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
whereubinh

Newport harbor

My first report. 5/31/2020 Launch from Newport harbor Patrol at 6:30 am. Lots of kayaker already on the water and the fishfinder showed lots of activities. I pedal straight past the bait barge and went out of the harbor to the rockfish grounds. Started marking a huge colony of fish around 160 feet of water. This was shallower then what I usually mark for rockfish. I dropped down a dropper loop with some squid and hooked up a nice red rockfish. The current was pretty fast so it moved me off the mark. Pedal back around and ended up marking more fish at a different location. This time I hooked up a 20 inch red snapper. My personal best on a kayak. I was able to limit out on rockfish but ended up sending 3 back down with a dull hook and an 8 ounce. I proceeded to move out a bit deeper at 200 to look for ocean white fish and was able to grab a few of those before calling it a day at 11 am. The swells were around 3 ft with lots of boaters on the water causing wakes. Overall an excellent day on the water
Attached Images

whereubinh is offline   Reply With Quote