View Single Post
Old 12-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
Adam

I agree that arguing the "kayak only" position should be more of a last resort. However, I caution against a "no MPA" position. There will be more MPAs down here, the only question is where and how much. Even though the science will be poor, it will be important to understand what is being proposed and to counter (where necessary) from an objective / non-emotional perspective as much as possible. Regulators will be more receptive to well drawn arguments than "not in my back yard" or "I love that fishing spot" positions. Additionally, we should be aware that arguments may be made that the best fishing spots may also be the most "important" as these are productive spots not only for fishing but possibly also for reproduction. I will try to determine what research has been conducted regarding the fishery in La Jolla, I doubt there is much, but I think it is important for us to be on top of this. The previous points about separating rockfish from migratory pelagics are also very relevant. I think fisheries which were previously target by nearshore gill nets have probably improved since the ban on nearshore gill nets (white seabass, halibut, etc.). I am sure others disagree with me here, but I do think that rockfish populations are in less good shape. In my short life time I have noticed that I need to fish deeper for rockfish and what I catch is smaller. These are not good signs of fisheries health and the quality of our fishing has suffered.

Adam
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote