View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
Aaron&Julie

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyday View Post
My dad was on the belleau wood during desert storm
Hmmm. It might have been possible he served on the Belleau Wood, while I was still onboard.

In early August (?) 1990 we had to shorten our port visit to Seattle for the "Sea Fair" by a few days, because of the crap going on in Iraq.
I had already submitted for terminal leave with my 25 days of accrued leave to end my 6 year stint, so I got off the ship on August 23, 1990. Looking at my DD-214, I see I still could have been kept in, because there were 2 more years of inactive duty left.

I was aboard the Belleau Wood for 3 years, 7 months, and 9 days of Sea Service, making Westpac's in 1987 & 1989, Team Spirit both times. For a while we were even a temporary 3rd Fleet Commander's Flag Ship, which earned us a port visit to Acapulco, I'm sure by no coincidence. One of my top 3 favorite port visits.

Rather odd, Wikipedia doesn't mention the Belleau Wood making Desert Storm.

One of the last things I remembered about the ship was changing homeport to Sasebo, Japan, and it's decommissioning in 2005. I didn't even know they were the last U.S. ship to sail out of Subic Bay in the final withdrawal, in Nov, 1992.

Last edited by Aaron&Julie; 11-11-2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Date changed
Aaron&Julie is offline   Reply With Quote