Thread: undecided
View Single Post
Old 08-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #31
pchen911

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguachico View Post
No I was not kidding. D50 mentions that an advantage of a rudder system is being able to keep a fish on one side of the yak while fighting the fish.

That is probably true - but not necessary.

While the yak is moving I can turn the yak by lowering my foot (13EEE) on either side. I like to keep my fish on the port side of the yak so I drop my right leg out turning it starboard. I can come to a full stop with both legs.

I use this technic while surf landing also - landing is not my strong point so every little bit helps.

BTW: kick ass stories on Jim's board - your father is a lucky dude. Good fish karma coming your way.

Art
Thanks Art,

Will give that a try next time. I figure it would probably be easier to do on a shorter boat though... I can see it on my old shorter boats like the cobras, but on the P15 I am using now, its pretty hard to swing that thing around.

Luckily, left side or right side, I have no real preference.... but certainly can help when fighting fish with a second line in the water.

Thanks also Josh, but actually your stories are really inspiring to me.... On many levels. First to let me know what the possibilities are and how much further there is to go and learn. Then again with your willingness to share your reports when it seems people aren't reporting much nowadays (compared to years past). Your generousity is very much appreciated.

I'll admit though.... I am still quite a ways from the level of C&R those yellowtail beauties on your other post. When people fish, its feast or famine.... When I fish, its famine or starvation.
pchen911 is offline   Reply With Quote