View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 AM   #29
Fiskadoro

Went out Tuesday, but we were fishing South of the nine out of range of a kayak. The idea was to get one of the larger Bluefin before Mexico shut it down. No Bluefin for us, but Norm and I got five Yellowfin tuna and caught over thirty yellows.

We hooked four tuna trolling, three on X-raps, and if I was you that is what I would troll, but I also got a tuna on a megabait when I cast it on a boil.

All our fish were caught off paddies or under birds, no strikes on porpoise, and we did not have a single blind strike.

None of the fish were big, but the yellowtail bite was absolutely insane. The bigger fish could not get ot our baits because there were so many smaller fish chewing. We probably released more then 20 Yellowtail, left at least six paddies with wide open bites where every bait you put in the water was instantly bit. We got yellows on Tuna feathers, X- raps, Iron, Magabaits as well as finbait. I've fished offshore Yellowtail for decades and I have never seen so many fish wide open in so many locations on the same day. We finally just stopped baiting paddies. Basically there is a huge mass of fish moving up the coast. The only time I've seen anything even close to the bite was during the 1997 El Nino. I would expect La Jolla to go completely wide open on 6 to 15 lbs yellowtail in the next few days, and imagine that we'll shortly see Yellows in Santa Monica Bay.

We did not catch any Dorado, the water temp was down, but I hooked one that cut off and saw several including a huge Bull that jumped right in front of the boat.

I think we are in for a Epic season, maybe the best we've seen since the 90s.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote