Thread: La Jolla 8-2
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2019, 08:09 PM   #1
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

La Jolla 8-2

It has been a while since I have been on the water and even longer since I have posted anything. Back in the day, almost everyone posted their experiences when they went out but things have certainly changed since I started yackfishin about ten years ago.

Friday was my first day in La Jolla this year. There are many reasons but I suspect that few may care. Anyway I had a very nice day. The day was gray and unwelcoming for my 7 AM launch. Based on my conversations with the other gray light launchers, most of the guys on the beach had not experienced much luck recently. With the lack of reasonable prospects for meat fish on my first day out this year I decided to pack light and only take my fly rod for today's adventure.

I launched with about six guys but saw a similar number on the horizon as I headed out. I never saw any of those folks again so I have to assume that the current hot fishing grounds are several miles out.

For me, the day was all about getting back in the saddle and trying to remember how to catch a fish or two. This was my first attempt at fly fishing in the kelp. My first few casts rewarded with me with small Callicos. I was using a 10 weight rod with a heavy sinking tip. Casting, especially for someone who has not been doing this much recently was very tiring so I switched tactics.

It turns out that you can troll with a fly rod setup. The sinking line puts the streamer in the zone where the fish are. All I had to do was peddle my kayak around until a fish became interested.

I caught a bunch of small Calicos. Nothing worth keeping, but that was not my goal. I was back on the water and caught some fish. It was a great day.

I interviewed a couple of the guys who ventured out over the horizon. Nobody caught a keeper but several said that the Calicos were biting in deep water as well.

Where have all the big fish gone?

I will be out there again soon. Maybe I will be the lucky guy who finally wakes up all the big fish who are shunning us these days.

Bob

Last edited by dsafety; 08-06-2019 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Wrong date
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote