View Single Post
Old 10-10-2018, 05:18 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

The pin that holds the fin in position fell out on my Outback and it went flaccid, making the entire Mirage drive useless. Luckily, the fin didn't slip off the post and sink. I think the flimsy split ring that holds the clevis pin in place fell off or rusted off. It's a very small part, so I carry a spare now.

Paddling my Outback back against the wind and current was a pain in the butt.

A string came off my brothers rudder and we couldn't tighten it back down without a #2 phillips head screwdriver. Trying to use my knife tip was useless. We ended up holding our kayaks together parallel, we both peddled, and I steered with my rudder until we got back to the launch area. I carry a small keycain size phillips head and flat blade screwdriver now, and an extra screw & washer for repairing a broken rudder control string.

The plastic rudder post looks like something waiting to break. I always make sure I have a spare clipped in place under the lid of my 8" hatch.

I'm going to collect up a list of spare parts, vacuum pack them in plastic and fasten this emergency parts kit somewhere inside my hull.

I was having electrical connection issues with the connectors on the back of my fish finder. A friendly boat came by and he gave me a dab of dialectic grease that seemed to help. I'm not sure why, but it did. Dialectic grease is non-conductive. O'Reilly's has small single use packets at the counter for something like 50 cents each.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 10-10-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote