View Single Post
Old 07-20-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Rambo

Yellowtail Fever to Weather the Storm

July has been a great month so far rewarding me and a few friends with yellowtail. Arrive at La Jolla launch at 4:45 with lots of time to spare and saw the washout launch site. 2nd one to be at the launch area so what do we but relax and wait for our other buddy. Decided to warm up the sandwich over a hot stove.

Got on the water by 5:30AM, made bait; A bit hard but manage to get 3 greenies and Caden caught 5 spanish and 1 greenie. Started to peddle out to the spot, with water temperature at 66 degrees, clear skies, flat calm lake like condition; what more could you ask for in fishing?

At 7:45AM, 1st hooked up on the fly line greenie, it’s a fighter alright. The fight lasted about 10 min.

As I was catching more sand dabs for dinner, the reel goes off again… ZZzzzzzzz.

Hook up at 8:10AM and my arms didn’t get a chance to rest so this second one gives me the beating of my life. I crank and he takes line, the fight lasted a brutally 15 mins. At one point I was ready to give up but kept pushing on since it’ll be a first time landing 2 yellow back to back. Finally saw color and gaff him, bled and did the double fish pose.

Then I took a break and decided to go in to make bait. Caden hooks up about 9:30ish. He’ll chime in and gives the details.

For the rest of the day, I was chasing bait and looking for boil. No more luck, and the rain started pouring in by 2PM. The launch site was a nightmare with cars backed up, kayak loading frenzy going off. But overall, thanks to John for being there and putting us on the fish even though he got skunk.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote