View Single Post
Old 08-27-2020, 11:22 AM   #10
summers in kuwait

For me I usually set up as follows:

AVET JX or MXJ 65 lb braid. On the JX I tie ~40 lb mono and run ~50 yards topshot connected with the alberto knot. On the MXJ, I tie a ~20 yards of 20-40 lb fluoro connected with the alberto.

SX and SXJ 50 lb braid. For these rigs I usually just run a ~10 ft leader connected with either alberto knot or more commonly a Spro Swivel.
The swivels are rated pretty high and fit through the eyes on my rods. This makes for switching rigs/leaders much easier.

When switching from yellowtails, halibut or WSB to rockfish at the end of the day, I like having less mono or fluoro leader. Braid wont stretch like these materials and this is plus when dropping 120-200 ft for lingcod or other rock fish. The stretch in the line can affect setting the hook for these fish or responding to snags or variances in bottom contour.

I only use three knots for fishing:

Alberto (line to line)
Spider Hitch (Loop - Dropper Loop)
San Diego Jam (Hook or swivel connection)

I will use an overhand knot, or weak breaking knot to attach my sinkers though.

Over the years I have been downsizing my reels, but and Avet SX, SXJ or MXJ can handle some some serious fish. With the smaller reels you wont have as good of drag range, so compared to LX or JX, but they will still work fine. The Gen2 are improved on this with added drag and ratcheting glide plate.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote