View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 01:01 PM   #10
peguinpower
bing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorf View Post
Looking at your install I have a couple of questions.
1. Is that caulk inbetween the transducer and the bottom of the hull?
2. Is that a rubber gascic on the inside? If so wouldn't it be better served on the outside?
Attachment 975

I do not mean to come accross as critical to you installation. I have no experiance what so ever. Just wondering. I think that your install is very nice and maybe, one day, I will venture to make a simular modification.

Thanks for your post.

Paul.
answers:

1) It is 3M 5200 thru hull sealant - marine and underwater application rated. it is only on the lip of the transducer and on a small canal that is on the threaded body, where it meets the hull. I was unable to take pics of the glue application as I was not sure how much time I had to work with the Fast Cure stuff that I was using. What you see there is what got squeezed out when I turned down the nut.
2) the rubber gasket is on the inside. yes, i initially thought it would be best to put it on the outside, but the manual that came with the transducer recommends specifically a 1/16th bead of marine sealant on the outside lip and a 1/32 bead of the same on the threaded body where it meets the hull. the gasket is pressed on by a hand nut which you bolt bolt down snug, not tight. If you think of it, this set up makes it serviceable. otherwise, the gasket will be ruined by the sealant when removed.

I would be proud to say I thought of this stuff, but actually its all thought out by the manufacturer and they give very specific instructions on how to mount it. Personally, I think they know more than I do about these matters, so I followed it to a T, including very specific instructions on how to handle and use 3M 5200 (no alcohol based solvents for cleaning surfaces and clean up after installation)

/bing

Last edited by peguinpower; 02-04-2009 at 01:25 PM.
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote