Thread: Mr. T - Premo
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 02:31 PM   #15
Ohana

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post
Very cool video! And thanks to Skallywag for posting the info page on Threshers. I have often wondered about the correct procedure that should be used when releasing a shark.

Do most people cut the line or try to remove the hook?

Bob
The ones I have hooked have mostly been tail hooked, as they place that long tail in front of the lure and the lure plows into the tail. In this case, I am able to pull the hook out; on yo-zuris and rapala shad-raps, I removed the center treble and replaced the rear treble with a double hook, which makes releasing easier and safer (less chance to have a free treble from re-hooking the shark or me!). Also, I try to get them is as quick as possible to prevent them from dying when tail hooked, as they no longer can get water across their gills when being pulled by their tails.

On the ones that were hooked in the mouth, I used circles hooks and cut the leader as close to the mouth as possible, leaving the hook. The nice thing with T-sharks, at least from what I have found, they have a relatively small mouth, so a smaller circle hook can be used vs. what might be used for other sharks.

I hope that this helps.

Kevin
Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote