View Single Post
Old 06-01-2015, 03:07 PM   #1
swinginFish

Catch & Release vs Kill & Grill vs __________ (Option Three)

Been around awhile and have noted above the two main approaches expressed by various folks who post on BWE. Thought long and hard on the subject and want to note that, while the opportunity doesn't arise often, there is a third option once we hook, fight and land a 30+lb YT. Consider the following:
  • Rise and get to LJ launch before first light
  • Do final rigging of yak and gear
  • Paddle out through next to no waves
  • Make quick bait of perfect candy-bar greenbacks and one horse sardine
  • Peddle/Paddle to zone dragging fly-lined greenback
  • Once in preferred area, drop down heavily weighted (Carolina rig) sardine and begin slow-trolling it mid-column
  • Experience pick-up of sardine and once hook is set, switch bit pole to left hand and reach over and reel in fly-lined mackeral on other pole
  • Fight and get ass whipped by, yet manage to gaff and secure game clip to, big-ass YT
  • Clip two gills on referenced fish, confirm it's secure on clip and toss over side to bleed out
  • While fish is bleeding out, clean yak, and prepare top front of hull so that fish can be laid-out, secured and covered in burlap to keep moist and cool for anticipated "happy paddle" back to shore
  • Once all's ready, pull all-but-dead fish back up onto craft, then begin positioning self and fish for maneuvering and eventual placement on front hull
  • React with terror when "dead" fish awakens, shakes head, opens and slides head off game clip
  • Grab the resurrected "Jesus-fish" with right hand in front of forked tail and hold on for dear life
  • Have water splashed in face and grip dislodged as one of the the biggest YTs you ever caught in LJ bitch-slaps the water and makes a 45 degree dive to bottom
  • Sit in kayak, dazed, amazed, exhausted and feeling (yet again) like an absolute bonehead

So, my kayak fishing brethren, with the above, I have now provided outline of the referenced "Option Three," i.e.,

CATCH, KILL & RELEASE !

BTW: Should you be interested, I'm available to tutor any/all in the art of Option Three, as I've truly got it down.

Avery
swinginFish is offline   Reply With Quote