View Single Post
Old 04-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #16
chris138
donkey roper

Just paddling for distance is much easier. You should be able to average about 3 MPH. So in a 12 hour trip theoretically 30 miles is doable. But once you start fishing, drifting and trolling that goes down considerably. Getting 30 miles on an actual fishing trip means several things. you need to know exactly where you're going and paddle there in a straight line without stopping. In a prowler, 5 MPH avg for two hours is pretty doable. If you leave 3 hours before sun-up, you can be on the 9 mile bank around dawn. A little offshore wind helps things. Assuming the current isn't insane, the paddle back can actually be faster if the onshores really get going. But then you end up chasing birds, chasing paddies, chasing dolphin that look like bluefin. Before you know it, you're over 20 miles in and the shore is still very far away...

I went 30 miles+ in my xfactor on two occasions looking for UKT, skunked both times. 15 hour trips. This year I will do a 40 miler on my prowler, and I will get that damn tuna! Hope some of you guys are training.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote