View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
GTboosted

You are taking a step in the right direction. It's your choice but there really is no reason why you shouldn't wear a PFD. They have compact, inflatable, comfortable, etc PFDs. It's not about knowing how to swim it's about emergencies.

The air horn is a good idea for harbors but I am not sure how effective they would be in open water with a boat at full speed.

Orange is probably the best color for visibility in the ocean (ie orange life rafts). My NRS chinook PFD is this same hue. My Pro Angler is yellow but I wouldn't mind orange too. I think I overdo it based on the colors I see at the launch ramp but I am not trying to win no style points. That and I am always by myself miles out. A single kayak is harder to see than a group.

I know I mentioned it before and I'll say it again. I've seen a grey inflatable boat get shredded by a speeding boat, the guy jumped out at the last second and survived with no injuries. I also needed an air rescue of the coast of Malibu literally after launching. I was oblivious to the conditions out there. Luckily I was out fishing with a group and they called the rescue from shore. I was wearing my PFD and it probably save my life. It allowed me to conserve energy every time I would get knocked off the kayak.

Still, no details have come out. Its possible none of these tips would have helped the victim in Marina Del Rey. Like it's been said, keep your head on a swivel and assume they don't see you.