View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 08:58 AM   #1
jscott

Sat/Sun Late Report

I was working down here in San Diego this weekend...and I was able to sneak out for back to back sessions. I went out Sat evening from about 5p-9p and then Sun AM from about 4:30a-10a. Sat evening-- I paddle all around.. not many yakkers out (proabably due to am tourney). Tide was up so kelp was submerged-- LOTS SNAGS! Caught a bunch of spanish macs and a couple smelties. Lots of barry-slashed baits! I managed one good almost 5# FAT calico (released). Also as dusk came on-- I saw some good bait boils-- paddled over and my fly-line went off....I'm pulling it in-- and as I'm fighting it-- other line starts taking off. I put other rod into gear, and the circle hook does it's job and it's on and towing me a little bit while I'm still fighting the other. I pull up a short WSB-- about 26" (my biggest yet!)-- because I know WSB are delicate-- instead of letting him hang and get the other line, I quickly get him up (snap a pic) and get out the circle hook that was lodged perfectly in the corner of the mouth (ended up bending the hook just to get it out)-- released the guy to swim happily away. Then get to the other rod...and I find it is a bigger model something. I am getting pulled. I'm bringing it up-- looking for color-- and it runs back down to bottom. I'm working hard to keep him out of kelp. Then he comes up again and runs again. I'm bringing him up-- now with gaff close by...and POP! Damn-- only like 10 feet from the leader-- just before I would have had color! I really think this was my keeper WSB!
AARRRGGHHH!! Circle hook comes up with nothing on it. Must have only had him on a small piece of his mouth! Now it is pretty dark and I start paddling in. Swell was up and it was pretty choppy out. Kind of spooky paddling around in the dark and NO-one else around. I was farther out than I thought and it took 1hr to get back to the beach. Landed nicely and packed up. Back at it in the AM. Made spanish macs pretty quickly...only mega greenies-- so they went back. Paddle out and I'm fishing in about 70-80' of water. Soon after I'm there-- the New Seaforth and the Dolphin come up pretty close and anchor off. Of course...pretty soon there was a zoo of PBers all around. Normally I would paddle away and find my own spot...but I was here first...and now they are chumming up the water pretty good. So I'm sitting-- I see them catching some barries and so am I. I manage about 5 good 10#+ barries on bait and iron. I gaff 3 of them and bleed em. Other 2 shook iron next to the yak while I was deciding whether or not I wanted more and letting them exhaust themselves (they thrash pretty good on deck-- and sharp teeth between my legs don't make me comfy!) I'm sitting there and my weighted line starts singing!! I do my count and put it in gear and BAM, I'm on! I start getting towed...I'm a little worried about getting pulled into some of these pbers or the party boat, so I am trying to work him pretty good and keep turning the head. Several runs and about 15 minutes later-- I gaff a nice 17# yellow to the cheers of the party boat passengers! I had heard of 1 or so yellows on each party boat-- mostly barracuda for all the pbers. I was stoked!! Paddle back in with almost 50# of fish on board and go to work.

Here are some pics...

Gary-- I heard you tagged one also-- nice job!! Tight lines all...
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote