View Single Post
Old 08-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #31
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

The best kayak for the Job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
Nice post and glad your getting serious interest. I know my cousin joined the forums a couple years ago and tried to get this same trip going but never got enough to go. Slim chance I can make it but how about guys with Hobie's Outback and PA's rigged with sails?? how would that fare out there?
Thanks, you should tell your cousin to come!

The Revo 13 is the only kayak I have done the crossing in, and it is fast and slices through the chop and surf but the dilemma i am having this time is on whether or not I should bring my spear fishing stuff(wet suit and gun) or not to. And If I did, It would sit me in the water even more than I will be plus I probably would lose some of the efficiency I was receiving by going with the revo in the first place.

The PA and Outbacks on the other hand have more room, especially the PA. I have been on both and they are plenty fast to me, and maybe even faster if you consider the buoyancy factor with the weight of the food and camping gear. The only drawback I see, possibly, is if we hit rough seas and high winds, but I picked October to do this because it is the calmest month of the year for surf and storms. We will be a group so there will always be someone there to give you a hand with your PA 14.

So that's a long way of saying I think they would be fine, and possibly better depending on conditions and how light of a packer you are.

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-13-2018 at 08:47 AM.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote