Thread: Redondo Info...
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2021, 06:27 PM   #1
Saba Slayer

Redondo Info...

The City of Redondo Beach is embarking on a comprehensive process to establish a Public Amenities Plan for King Harbor.
I have received a couple of emails from the Harbor Commission and one of the representative stakeholders from the King Harbor Yacht Club asking me to reach out to the kayaking community to get some feed back on our desires or wishes for the new launch facilities. The letter from the Harbor commission stated that these changes are a long way from happening but they are interested in “how or if the current hand launch can be improved (we’ll likely have it where it is for a while), if you would like the hand launch to remain where it is, or move down to moonstone park (pretty far from the mouth of the harbor in my opinion). If it stays where it is, it may end up somewhat near the boat launch. Also do you like the dock launch, would you prefer a zero depth beach launch, etc. I would not expect the city or the consultant to figure out what’s good for kayaks, but I think they would be pretty willing to create what you want as long as you can work within limited space and share with SUPS and other hand launch stuff.”

Here's a little cut and paste from Mark and the “South Bay Echo” on some of the info…

This is from Mark at the Yacht Club….

“The City of Redondo Beach is embarking on a comprehensive
process to establish a Public Amenities Plan for King Harbor.
Those amenities will include:
Public Boat Launch Ramp
Seaside Lagoon Replacement
Potential New Sportfishing Pier
Dinghy Dock for Moorings Field
Hand Launching/Zero Depth Entry
Mole B: Outriggers & Sailboat Storage

There will be a couple of Pop Ups and an
online Community Meeting in December.
A Working Committee has been established, including
three Harbor Commissioners, four Stakeholders,
and a variety of City Staff.
I have been appointed to that Committee, which has
convened twice, with three more meetings to come.
There are three Community Meetings planned.
I will keep you updated and solicit your help in
making our anglers aware of this process.

Mark Hansen KHYC"

This is from David Rosenfeld and his “South Bay Echo” for Nov. 25th…
“With a sense of deja vu all over again, Redondo Beach officials began soliciting this week ideas to improve King Harbor, marking the first steps toward a renewed waterfront project since the last one fell apart four years ago. The first public meeting to hear from the architects and share ideas will be held virtually 6:30 p.m. Dec. 15. To sign up click here.
It was in 2017 when the city scuttled a deal with CenterCal Properties for a $400 million makeover. The project was essentially torpedoed by public opinion and the Coastal Commission while the whole thing wound up in court in the end. The latest iteration envisions a more scaled-down approach that would include improvements to Moostone Park, Seaside Lagoon and the International Boardwalk, replacement of the sportfishing pier and adding a small boat launch and a dinghy dock.
For more on the plan so far and to participate in the process visit KHAmenitiesPlan.com.”

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote