View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 04:28 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Skunk. Report, Chula Vista

My wife and I got a late start yesterday and got launched at 09:30. That two hour drive down isn't the best part of my morning. Anyway, got on the water and the fish finder said 75 degree water temp, two minutes into the paddle the screen brightness disappeared and I couldn't see well enough to figure out how to fix it on the water. We went out to the boat channel then turned left towards the flats. I had one good bite on a squid and my hook came untied without ever seeing color. The bait was jumping every where but no birds diving. I cast a big plug for awhile but so much grass and debris in the water that I never got a clean return. I started bouncing a gulp shrimp on a 3/8 jig head and drifted with the wind without a bite. By noon the wind had picked up to occasional whitecaps so we headed in. The overcast was nice after coming from 100 degree Yucaipa, it was cool enough to enjoy being out there. My wife fishes in a sit in Kayak and it makes me nervous to get too far with her. I know I should have paddled further in search of fish but I have to make sure she stays safe so I kept us within swimming distance of the shore. Got back to Yucaipa about 3 and it was once again 100. I need to move.