Thread: chest waders
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2006, 03:13 PM   #17
way north

Hey Guys:

Just an out of town lurker.As you can see by my one posting. I keep an eye on the sight for when I visit my brother in Carlsbad. Every time I am down we try the LJ thing…so far no luck…but we keep trying.

Thought I would chime in on the wader thing. I have been Steelhead and Salmon fishing for many years in the north coastal rivers, and am no stranger to waders. In the early day’s wader were made of rubber or vinyl type of material. Every year someone would slip into the river, with this type waders, and drown. Most people wore a wading belt to prevent the waders from filling with water and dragging them under.
Everyone was aware of the damager, but like seat belts,
some refused to hassle with the wading belt and paid the price.

Then came along neoprene waders. They Float! And with a wading belt float well.
Now we have the Breathables…..which unfortunately have the same floating characteristics of the old vinyl wader.

I have been surfing all my life and am very comfortable in the surf, but I would not be caught in the surf, on a kayak, in over head water, in waders. Neoprene or breathables. Once you go in ,and fill up with water, the surge will pull you under. The weight of the water, in your now water parachute, will hold you down.
And if you think you can get them off in time you are only fooling yourself.

Myself…..when I am down there I wear a wetsuit. If you have to wear waders wear the neoprene type with a belt. Get the 2mil. And if you still have to use the breathable….absolutely positively Don’t forget a tight wading belt.
If you find yourself in overhead water, with surf, in breathable wader with no belt, beleive me you are in big trouble.

Theres my 2 cents…..Be safe and see you out there next spring.
way north is offline   Reply With Quote