View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 07:27 AM   #1
blitzburgh

Mission Bay Snorkel Report 7-2-17

Spent a bay day with Wifey, kiddos and friends at Mariners Basin. Perfect weather with s little breeze. Brought one bass rod to poke around later in the day as well as snorkel gear. It is always cool to see how much life is down there. Spotties everywhere including some trophy models. Swim right over them and they just stare you down lol. Angel sharks, tons of juvi Calico's. I never spotted any Halibut but did find a few Diamond Turbot, eating size at that. Nice size schools of 3 to 7" Smelt everywhere and big mullet, one swam right by me had to be had to be 20".

Also, came across a few, LARGE (I think) Dungeness crabs that were bedding down in the sand. One was friggin huge, guessing 10 or 11" across, with a female locked up under him. I tried, unsuccessfully to pick them up but those fuggers were quick. Every time I would locate one and try to play, they b-lined it for cover. Anyone know for sure what crabs these are? Sorry no pics.