View Single Post
Old 05-19-2017, 04:44 PM   #1
SailorDave
Junior

Angry La Jolla 5/19 - Lessons Learned

Figured with the weather window I would get out today before the weekend crowds. Launched at 6:00 to minor surf (took one over the bow and got a bit wet). Bait was super easy to make. Found a school, 4 drops and 10 in the tank. Water was murky with a strong south current running. Fished outside and around the corner with no takers besides Sea Lions (lost 4 baits to those guys). Came back along the outside edge of the kelp and got the hit I was looking for in about 65 ft of water. Woohoo! So I'm getting BIG head shakes and I'm feeling the spectra just popping through the kelp before we get out to clearer water. After about 10 min I get it to color (it's big... 35-40), get my gaff ready and bring it close. I get it close several times looking for that perfect gaff shot and... big Fu*king Sea Lion comes up from under the kayak just as I'm reaching to gaff, grabs a big mouthful and the water just explodes... right. there. I take the reel out of gear thinking maybe the dog missed and I'll give the YT a chance to run. Promptly get a big birds nest and then the spectra pops. I'm left sitting in a nice still kayak holding an empty rod and gaff thinking WTF just happened!

Lesson #1 - Don't dick around looking for that perfect gaff shot. Get it stuck and get it in the boat ASAP. Especially when there are dogs in the area. I had several opportunities to gaff and I waited. As a result, I'm freezer diving for dinner tonight.

Lesson #2 - If you're fish is getting chased and you want to drop out of gear to let it run, make sure you've got some thumb on the spool. Otherwise you'll get a big birds nest and you'll get broke off for sure.

I spent another hour in the area but no takers. Called it a day about 1:00 and made it back through minor surf without embarrassing myself. Didn't see anyone else out there with bent rods or hear anything on the radio.

On the good side, I now won't have the in-laws descending on my house tonight like a swarm of booze locusts looking for a free meal and drinking my good tequila.

Dave

BTW - A sign at the launch says that the construction is scheduled for completion by the Friday before Memorial Day. That will be nice!
SailorDave is offline   Reply With Quote