View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 10:30 PM   #19
JohnMckroidJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinAll50 View Post
Hey, I'm the guy that flipped! I completely agree after reading some comments like yours that I should have done a better job explaining the situation. I was in the water for over an hour, and after putting that video together I didn't wanna make it any longer. I'll do a video soon explaining mistakes for sure. I'm not sure what caused the crack, it was pretty spontaneous and was right at the dump of a water channel to a scupper. Which meant waves over the bow were entering the hull, instead of the scupper. A plastic bag or tape is a great idea! It'll be in the bag next time, I just wasn't prepared for a crack like that to happen. The kayak hull was filled and then capsized, with 0 chance of reentry. Thank you for the feedback!
Your welcome. Sorry for your loss. You can post your explanation video on this thread for clarity of what happened. When a kayak hull gets partially filled with water, it creates an unstable situation known as the free surface effect. Often, this can make it impossible to re-enter the kayak without causing it to capsize again. A solution would be to secure the leak and pump the water out while alongside the kayak in the water. Once the water is pumped out of the hull, the kayak will be stable enough to board.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote