View Single Post
Old 06-17-2017, 03:35 PM   #1
HDFishing
Junior

06/17/17 LJ Yellowtail

2nd trip to La Jolla, First YT! Launched at 515 to exactly like predicted (1-2ft)... for once they got it right. Bait was pretty easy to get just outside the reserve. Got 12-15 solid greenbacks and started fishing. Hooked up at 630 on flyline, it started ripping line out then broke me off. Had it on for 15-20 seconds. 65lb braid/ 40 flouro. I tried a new knot, the loop knot, for live bait. I've heard guys have had success with it because it lets the bait swim more natural. Maybe I didn't tie it right, maybe it's not a great knot. So I go back to the old trusty knot I know that works for me. Hook up again within 5 minutes. It was probably one of the coolest experiences I've had on the water. I saw the fish hit the bait but missed it the first time. Slapped it probably a foot out of the water then turned around and got it the second time. I watched all of this 20 yards in front of the yak. The fight was on. He made probably 25 hard runs before I softened him up enough to gaff. I've caught amberjack in the Gulf of Mexico before but damn these fish fight hard out of a kayak. Had one more good hit around 8am but just got my mack, no hookup. Awesome day on the water! Can't wait to get back out there. Shoutout to a couple guys that helped me get a sick pic of the fish, thanks dudes!
Attached Images

Last edited by HDFishing; 06-17-2017 at 03:41 PM.
HDFishing is offline   Reply With Quote