View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
MuddyMike

"citizen science data" is dangerous. SF will surely leave out the "citizen" part when they promote their agenda.

The only people using the app will be vigilante enviro extremists who would enjoy nothing more than reporting violations to validate their volunteered time.

We know how difficult it is to find an imaginary line in the water without seeing it displayed in relation to where we are on a chartplotter.

I fish just outside the boundaries sometimes, and I'm sure I'd be reported by a vigilante beach walker 10 out of 10 times.

They would be estimating where the boundary is from the shoreline. With the human factor of interpreting gray areas in our favor, and an eco-extremist mindset, the individual could probably convince themselves that the boundary is another quarter mile out... but this has no bearing if they are not honest individuals with an agenda.

Rufus' idea is a good one, only a more subtle approach would make it more difficult to detect. Skewing the data isn't as important as proving the data can easily be skewed when they try to use it.
MuddyMike is offline   Reply With Quote