View Single Post
Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #1
summers in kuwait

La Jolla 3-26-16

So I started making my own sabiki rigs recently. Mostly for fun and hobby, but thought it would be rewarding, especially if they work!

With my DIY sabiki's and a goal of shaking off a long skunk streak, I made my way West to La Jolla. I got to the launch early and paddled through small surf. Started working the sabiki rig and they actually worked!

After loading up about a dozen Greenbacks I started heading out to deeper water. After seeing some interesting marks on the ff, I drop and wait.

About five minutes later, line starts ripping off the reel and Im stoked. I see another kayak approaching close and he's running line behind him. I kindly mention, "Im on", but it was a little too late. As he passed, we got tangled. Trying to hold in my frustration and work out the tangle, I quickly get his line free and he pedals on. At this point, I thought the fish was gone. I start reeling in and to my surprise, the fish is on and fighting.

After a few strong pulls, Im thinking its a decent yellow. We play a nice little back and forth and then I realize I've got the right kind on. I take it slow and cautious with my drag and finally see color. A shorter and stout WSB, probably in the 40 lb class with the hook barely sunk on the outside of his lip.
Im stoked! I sink my gaff, clip the fish, bleed and gut.

Pulling the fish in the kayak, it feels bigger than previous WSB's I've caught. I pull the mirage drive, lay the fish down and paddle in. Safe, semi-dry landing and all the tourists are asking "what is that?". I get home around 10am to measure and weigh the fish. Ended up 49.5" and ~44 lbs after bled and gutted.

As I paddled in, a fine gent named Kaleb snapped an otw shot for me. Much appreciated!

On Ice!

Making Tacos for the family.

Some nice Stones!

Heres a short clip from that morning.

Cheers!

Todd
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote