View Single Post
Old 05-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #4
GregAndrew

Good advise Pete. On the same note about holding up the show, you can do a few things to keep the show on the road. If you do not plan on being one of the first in the water the next morning, have them pack your yak on the top. Be aware of where your yak is packed cause they are going to unrack them in order (deck, sides and then top). They will give you some time to get your yak outfitted before they put it in the water, but get your stuff ready to be installed before they call you. Don't try to put everything on your yak before they launch it. Besides holding things up, you will kill the crew. Instead, only put the critical stuff and things you will be unable to install on the water.

Leave the swimstep for launching/landing and boarding/unboarding. I usually pack most of my loose items in my bait tank (or crate if that is your style), and transfer it to various spots/hatches after they hand it to me (and I pull away from the boat before I start unpacking). Then I will come back to the side of the boat for my rods and bait. Same steps in reverse when you come in for lunch, a move or the end of the day (although, if they are not moving and you expect to go right back out you may be able to leave your yak loaded and tied off). Don't get in the way of the crew, but you can certainly lend a hand passing rods, food, drinks, bait etc. off to other passengers.

There will likely be some good YT fishing this year. There is usually good Halibut fishing, but you may have to find their depth. And there is always great Calico fishing.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote